Central Bible Church has its roots in the 1920s, in the mid-week Bible studies that were known as the Portland Union Bible Classes. The Bible studies were led by Dr. B.B. Sutcliffe in area churches and were mostly attended by members of Portland-area churches.
In 1931, John G. Mitchell was called to Portland to become the Director of the classes. Within a few months, the classes rented auditorium and classroom space at the Behnke-Walker Business College in downtown Portland. Early the next year, they held their first Sunday morning meetings.
Senior Pastors of
Central Bible Church
- Dr. John G. Mitchell, 1931 to 1967
- Rev. L. Dwight Custis, 1967 to 1981
- Dr. Hal Schulz, 1982 to 1988
- Dr. Calvin Blom, 1989 to 1999
- Dr. David Stevens, 2000 to 2014
- Ben Tertin, 2015 to present